Saturday 16 February 2008

an article too grounded in short fiction

Could you come down to the prayer room? We seem to have a problem.

The same problem?

Yes.

Is it another lay practitioner?

No, I’m afraid that this time it’s a novice. Classic case: as with the others he is showing external signs of some deep inner peace.

External signs… a deep inner peace?

Yes. It was the Wednesday meeting you see.

Yes. Has he anything to say?

Yes it’s beautiful really, enigmatic yet concise and relevant. Like a white flame; dancing before your eyes; captivating and consuming though illuminating…yes, beautiful.

Yes! I understand, but can you please try and keep yourself together. The last thing we need is for this to spread any further. Not again.

No, of course. I am sorry.

Have you left anyone with him?

Yes: one of the Cambodians.

Good, no danger there then.

Danger?

Oh yes. Sorry this is brother -----: he has been sent from our European office. To keep an eye and write a report.

Hello.

Hello. You said there was no danger. Cambodians: what did you mean exactly?

Well, it seems that they’re completely immune: something in their character maybe? They just never seem to succumb to the thing.

Guilt?

No, unfortunately not. I mean that’s something we can work with. No, this is different. Obviously we persevere with them, though they never make it beyond the level of senior novice.
Worrying.

Though they are invaluable in times such as these.

Yes, I should think they are.

And are we any closer to understanding what is at the root of all this?

It appears that we, who are native to this place- these islands are unusually susceptible to a condition resembling looking like; externally appearing to be something approaching an enlightenment.

Enlightenment!? This is what you want me to report? Surely we have not reached the point where it is necessary to resort to and in resorting to; to use this kind of emotive language? I feel I now perceive what is at the root of your and make no mistake when I say yours I mean our and by that I mean your problem. This language! How can one: anyone communicate adequately with what is obviously an overstretched and at times outraged populace whilst using language? And language like this! I see your problem. Enlightenment is that what you wish me to say?

I am afraid you may have to. For if we and by we I mean you and I and also other members. If we do not use language such as this to describe a condition such as this: one that demands a description such as this. If we fail to do this at this point; I that case I feel that is not just our presence on these islands that is in doubt. No I feel and by that I mean think our entire future may well be in question.

I’m sure you’re right and I feel as you as to the urgency of the entire episode as it is or as it may be. But (ominously) if we are to address this ‘crises’ (his punctuation) then I feel that we must feel out what lies at the root causes of the whole episodic whole. (The narrator having felt no need to intercede at last broke his silence to apologise for the turn that _____’s speech, or his rendering of it had taken.) Our group has long prided itself on the major role it has taken in maintaining and imposing of linearity, that is lines or the idea of lines on and through and in the minds of those cultures and people and philosophies lacking in…lines (his pause) or linearity. Maybe it has been the unparalleled success we have had over the years that has made us complacent; in any case we find ourselves now facing a race, and I feel that my membership of a race allows me to employ such language. A race so completely lacking in both linearity or indeed any form of lines so as to make our task nye on impossible. It is at times like these that we must truly question why we truly are what we are and do what we do! I do not! Mean that we should interrogate what we do: as to my mind interrogation is an abhorrent process akin to torture. Rather we attempt to glean from the line what its intention is in showing its or his self to us in such a curved manner.

So you think that it is a lack of linearity then?

Fucking hell! Do you not know anything? What else could it be?
Forgive me but have we not always been taught that: “our line is the line of understanding and humility.” And that being the case could it not be that these men have inherited a line of which we are unaware? Could it not be that the appearance of curvature is merely an illusion a perspectival trick?

I am fast losing patience with you? You know as well as I do that: “ the curve may appear straight until one gains sufficient distance. And so may appreciate at last it’s inherent deviance” this is the basis of faith! We know that it is ‘possible’ that linearity is merely an illusion but anything can be an illusion. Linearity is truth! If we start to question that then what the fuck have we got?

Of course I apologise.

Don’t apologise! Just help me to get a handle on this whole mess.

No comments: